Sunday 12 April 2015

Who would be the audience for your media product?

My music magazine InD would be aimed at the consumers of Indie pop music. This means they listen to indie retro music which is a culture in itself. The promotion of new artists would attract them as they do not want to listen to well-known and popular artists they want to be different and individual. The target audience of my music magazine InD are of the ages 16-24. This is because they are the main consumers of indie music and according to my market research, the most likely to buy a music magazine. Also they are most likely to be going to festivals and finding the content of my magazine interesting as I have subjects like festival reviews and artists who are likely to be at festivals like Artic Monkeys mentioned on both my front cover and contents page. In addition, the social media applications involved and mentioned are also more likely to appeal to the younger generation who are in higher education and older as they are the people who connect online and would enjoy that unique selling point of my magazine InD.
My primary audience is 16-24 year olds because of the ages of my artist’s as well, if they are around the same age then the consumers are more likely to buy the magazine. My secondary audience is 15-34 year olds.
My magazine is aimed at both genders with mutual colours with a skew towards males (60%) as the look of the magazine mixed with the colours is slightly more masculine. The pictures are also more relatable for males as the main feature is three males and the article is about how they are down to earth and normal. This makes the main article a male orientated subject slightly as they can connect with the content a bit more than females can. However it depends on the readers preference on what gender they like to read about, if an artist like Drake was on the front cover they are less likely to buy it to read but if a female artist was on the front cover for example Adele, both genders are likely to buy it.
The social class I am aiming for is ABC1. Having the target market at this makes the magazine more acceptable to the indie culture as they are of all ages and a range of classes. The way I have portrayed this is by making my article relatable to them and by setting the price as £2.50. This is not a lot of money and I tailored this around my research of students, when I asked them how much they would be willing to pay for a music magazine, the majority answered £2-£3. Also, by making my magazine a monthly release it makes the money more manageable for people as it is only once a month they will be paying £2.50. Also, my magazine offers a subscription deal so if they subscribe it makes it cheaper for them because they become a member of InD Magazine so it automatically lowers their price. This would appeal to a wider audience as the cheaper they can get a magazine, the more likely they are to buy it especially if it has good content.

No comments:

Post a Comment