Sunday 12 April 2015

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



I used several existing music magazines to base my magazine on so I was sure I had the correct style and layout to follow the codes and conventions of indie magazines. The main existing magazine I took tips and ideas from was NME as I like the aesthetics of this and the style they used. As you can see by the title of my magazine, InD is short for Indie. The use of this abbreviation is used often in music magazines, mine is also in red colouring which is a normal convention of magazines. This will appeal to the people who are interested and listen to indie music, who are my target audience. My front cover had a main sell line to go with the models I used on my front cover. This was to give the audience a visual representation of what they were going to be reading about. I used a boy band to write my article about so had them on my front cover. I took individual photos of each of them and then photo shopped them so they could be closer to each other and be a closer shot of their faces. My models on the front cover are all in clothing typical of indie culture, checked shirts and rolled up t-shirts. These are part of the fashion but not high-street fashion as indie culture is mainly to rebel against clothing norms. The sell line is their band name in bold letters to stand out, also being in a different colour helps this too. Underneath that I have a brief overview of their article, this is a convention of a music magazine. The button on my front cover advertises to “Win Reading Tickets”, this is a huge indie music festival which a lot of people buy tickets for or at least hope they can get them. If this is advertising to win tickets they are more likely to be attracted to this magazine. The music artists along the bottom are all either my models or well-known indie music artists. My colour scheme is red, white and black. This is typical of an indie music magazine for example NME often uses these colours as they are bold and stand out. The bar code in the bottom left corner is a convention of a music magazine as it is there to scan when buying it. Also the date and price are along the top of my magazine, they are in white on a black bar so the reader can see it quite fast and make their decision. Also it is there so people can see the date and if it is recent and the price is to promote it to a certain bracket of people. My tag lines are all down the left in a list with a brief over view of what the articles will be about. This is to sell the magazine to not just fans of the main article. This is a convention of a music magazine as they try to get the biggest target audience they can possible. I have used artists who I have also got in the contents page to tie the magazine together.
My contents page follows the codes and conventions of a real media product in many ways. Firstly I have contents page in big bold letters in the top left cornet with the date and issue number. This gives the audience an idea of how popular the magazine is by having a lot of issues and tells them how recent the magazine is. On the top right corner, I have a picture of the front cover to add individuality to the magazine and to show the reader where these articles have come from. The categories I have are, Regular content, on the cover, other articles, subscriptions, artist index and social media. These are typical for music magazines because they have sell lines on the front which the readers are likely to want to read so they want a category for this. It makes the magazine easier to navigate. I also have 5 photos for articles I have included in my magazine, the main article for HA4 being the biggest photo. The others are not as big so they don’t attract as much attention but they are big enough for people to notice. Each of these photos have a page number on them, this is so the reader knows where it is located and it is big like in real magazines.
For my first double page spread I have a picture that covers both pages, this is typical of a magazine as it is the opening of the article. However I have challenged the magazines conventions as my picture is outdoors. Also, I have a quote from the text. This is to attract the reader’s attention and is used in the NME magazine I researched and took tips from. There is also my introduction paragraph on there to start off the article which them continues onto the next page. On the right hand side I have a red box with the band’s name in.

On the next page I have got the band’s name in big bold letters, this introduces the main article further and the reader is attracted towards it. Underneath, my introductory paragraph is in bold compared to the rest of the text.  Also, the pull out lines used throughout the article are a convention of a music magazine. They take a bit of the main body of text and make it stand out. This is to grab the initial attention and then make the reader want to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment